Sunday 2 December 2012

Review: The Magistrate - Olivier (National) Theatre



I begin my first review at the end, that is unless I decide to grab tickets to something last minute then this will be my last and 19th theatre trip of the year. Maybe I should find something else to see since I have an irrational hate of odd numbers. Anyway off to the National I went yesterday, as my time as an entry pass member comes to an end next May I'm trying to see anything and everything I can at £5 a show, well it would be silly not to.

The Magistrate by Arthur Wing Pinero promises to be a "fast, furious, brilliantly plotted Victorian farce" and whilst it's not the funniest thing I've seen on stage, I had an enjoyable afternoon. The story centres around how telling a little white lie can snowball into bigger things, John Lithgow plays the timid Aeneas Posket Police Magistrate and particularly shines when he gets to take centre stage near the beginning of the second act and recounts how he made an escape. I could find no faults in any of the other cast and enjoyed performances by Nancy Carroll, Christina Cole, Beverley Rudd & Joshua McGuire.

With only two different settings in each act I found the action not always as hilarious as it could be and the first half did start to drag a little, although this was certainly not helped by sitting up front in the National's uncomfortable seats. Each setting interlude was filled by a song from some Dandies which I enjoyed being more a fan of musicals than straight plays, especially the all cast number at the end of the play which guarantees the audience leaves with a smile on their faces. I can't finish this review without giving the impressive set a mention which often resembled a pop up book and certainly appropriately set the tone of the piece.

The Magistrate is a lovely piece of theatre and I believe this cast gives it that extra oomph that makes it worth seeing. It is playing at the Olivier Theatre at the National until February 10th and will be broadcast to cinemas across the UK and around the world on January 17th.

No comments:

Post a Comment